Last Updated on January 9, 2019 by Larious
If you are someone like me, who watches a ton of YouTube videos, you must have hated the bright web interface of the video streaming giant, especially at night. The white-red interface can be blinding at night.
So, if you have always wished for a Dark Mode in YouTube, well, we have some good news for you. As you might have guessed, there’s a cool Dark Mode option available in YouTube and you just have to enable it. The hidden dark mode was discovered by a Redditor and if you want to try it out yourself, here are the steps to enable YouTube Dark Mode:
Enable YouTube Dark Mode in Chrome
Note: I enabled the YouTube Dark Mode in Chrome version 57.0.2987.133 on a Windows 10 computer but the method should be almost identical on macOS.
1. First, make sure that you are on the latest version of Chrome (version 57 or higher). You can check this by hitting the three-dot menu on the top right and then, going to Help->About Google Chrome. If you are not on the Chrome v57 or higher, do make sure you update the browser.
2. Once done, open up YouTube and hit Ctrl+Shift+I (Option+Command+I on Mac) to open up Chrome’s Developer Tools.
3. Here, click on the “Console” tab, and just paste the following command: document.cookie=”VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE” and press Enter.
4. Once done, click on your profile in YouTube and you will find a “Dark Mode” option. Click on it and then, enable the toggle “Activate Dark Mode“.
Note: If you don’t find the option here, you can go to YouTube settings, where you should find the “Dark Mode” option.
5. The Dark Mode will then be enabled in YouTube and instead of the classic Red and White theme, you will see a Dark interface with White and Red elements. I certainly like it!
Activate YouTube Dark Mode in Firefox
Note: I enabled the YouTube Dark Mode in Mozilla Firefox version 52.0.2 on Windows 10.
1. The method to activate YouTube Dark Mode in Firefox is pretty much the same as in Chrome. First, open up YouTube and then, press Ctrl+Shift+K to open up “Web Console” developer options. Here, just enter the command: document.cookie=”VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE” and press Enter.
2. Then, refresh YouTube and you should find the “Dark Mode” option your YouTube profile.
Note: Some users are reporting that you need to clear off cookies first to enable the YouTube dark mode. So, if it’s not working for you, do make sure to clear off the cookies.
Enable YouTube Dark Mode in Edge
Note: I enabled the YouTube Dark Mode in Microsoft Edge version 40.15060.0.0 on Windows 10.
1. The process to enable the Dark Mode in YouTube in Microsoft Edge is pretty much the same as in Chrome and Firefox. You just have to open up YouTube and hit Fn+F12 to open Edge’s Developer Tools.
2. Here, head to the “Console” tab and paste the command: document.cookie=”VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE”. Then, press Enter.
3. Once done, just refresh the page and you should find the “Dark Mode” option in YouTube.
Get YouTube Dark Mode on Your Browser
Well, that was pretty easy, right? The method does not seem to be working on Safari, so far but we will let you know if it does.
The YouTube Dark Mode certainly looks cool to me, however, it might not appeal to everybody and well, I guess that’s the reason there’s an option to enable/disable it. So, if you want the YouTube Dark Mode on Chrome, Firefox or Edge, just follow the steps to enable it.
Are you a YouTube lover? Just download your favorite YouTube videos to your iPhone, iPad & iPod with this user-friendly YouTube Video Downloader and enjoy them anywhere.