Last Updated on May 31, 2023 by Larious
Every Android device ships with a built-in navigation app called Google Maps. Google backs Google Maps, and it provides more features than any other navigation app. Similarly, Windows 11 also ships with a Maps app backed by Microsoft, which lets you search for locations, get directions, see the point of interest, and more.
Although the Maps app of Windows 11 offers some excellent features like saving offline maps, saving favorite places, creating collections of places, and more, people still look for ways to run Google Maps on their PC.
While you can access Google Maps via any web browser on Windows PC, wouldn’t having a dedicated Google Maps app on our desktop be better? If you add Google Maps as an app on Windows, you no longer need to open the web browser and head to the maps.google.com address whenever you want to search for a location.
Table of Contents
Google Maps for PC Download – Best Ways to Get it
Whenever you need to access Google Maps, open the Windows Start menu and select the Google Maps app. Below, we have shared the two best ways to download Google Maps for Windows. Let’s get started.
Download Google Maps for Windows via the Chrome browser
You can use the Google Chrome web browser to turn any website into a desktop app. Hence, we will use the Chrome web browser to turn the maps.google.com website into a Windows app. Here are some of the simple steps you need to follow.
1. First, open the Google Chrome browser on your PC. Next, head to the https://www.google.com/maps website.
2. Once the webpage loads, click the three dots in the top-right corner.
3. From the menu that appears, click on Install Google Maps.
4. On the confirmation prompt, click on the Install button.
5. This will install Google Maps as an app on your Windows 10/11 PC. Now access the Google Maps desktop app, open the Windows start menu, and click on Google Maps.
That’s it! This is how you can download Google Maps for Windows via the Chrome browser. You can also pin the Google Maps desktop app to the taskbar.
Download Google Maps for PC via Edge Browser
Like Google Chrome, you can also use the Edge browser to download Google Maps on your PC. Here’s how to download & install Google Maps as an app on Windows via Edge browser.
1. Open the Edge browser and visit the Google Maps website. Next, click on the three dots in the top-right corner.
2. From the list of options that appears, select Apps > Install Google Maps.
3. Next, on the Install Google Maps prompt, tap the ‘Install‘ button.
4. Google Maps PWA will be installed and open automatically.
5. You can access the Google Maps app from the Windows Start Menu. For that, click on the Start Menu, search Google Maps; and open it from the search results.
That’s it! This is how you can download the Google Maps app for PC with Microsoft Edge Browser.
Download & Install Google Maps on Windows via BlueStack
Android emulators are another best option to download Google Maps for PC. We have used BlueStack to emulate the Android version of Google Maps to the PC. Here’s how to do it.
1. First of all, download & install the BlueStacks emulator on your Windows PC.
2. Once installed, open BlueStacks and click on the Play Store app.
3. On the Play Store, sign in with your Google Account.
4. Once signed in, search for Google Maps on the Google Play Store. Next, open the Google Maps app from the list.
5. Click the Install button behind Google Maps to install the navigation app on your BlueStacks emulator.
6. Once installed, open Google Maps and start using it.
That’s it! BlueStacks emulator will provide the full Google Maps Android experience on your Windows 11 PC.
How to Install Google Maps on Older Windows Version?
The methods we have shared are fully compatible with Windows 10/11. However, if you use Windows 7, the steps may vary a bit.
To download Google Maps for Windows 7, you need to use a compatible Android emulator like BlueStacks. BlueStacks runs fine, even on Windows 8. This means you can also download Google Maps on Windows 7/8 via BlueStacks.
Best Google Maps Alternative for Windows?
Since Google Maps’ official app is not available for desktops, the best option is to use an alternative app.
If you are using Windows 10/11 operating system, you can use the Windows Maps app. Windows Maps is developed by Microsoft, and you can use it for free with a Microsoft account.
Even if Windows Mapas is unavailable on your device, you can get it from the Microsoft Store. Here’s what you need to do.
1. Click on the Windows 11 Search and type in Microsoft Store. Next, open the Microsoft Store app from the list.
2. When the Microsoft Store opens, search for ‘Windows Maps‘. Next, open the Windows Maps app from the list.
3. If Windows Maps is not available on your PC, click on the ‘Get‘ button to download & install it.
4. Once downloaded, you can open Windows Maps directly from the Windows Search.
You can use the Google Maps app on your Windows 10 or Windows 11 PC and access all its features. So, these are the two best ways to download & install Google Maps on Windows 11. Let us know in the comments if you know other ways to run Google Maps on Windows 11.