Last Updated on August 15, 2023 by Larious
Google Chrome could be named the king browser as it is one of the most popular and feature-rich web browsers. Managing various aspects of surfing websites, storing data, downloading, etc., are extremely easy in Chrome.
Let’s admit there are times when we want to block certain websites. The websites could be of different types, like adult, spammy, time-wasting, etc. By default, Chrome doesn’t allow you to block any website. But there are a few ways to block any website on the Chrome browser.
Table of Contents
How to Block Websites on Google Chrome
So, in this article, we have decided to share the best ways to block any website on Google Chrome. Let’s get started.
Block Website from your computer
Another best way to block a specific website is to edit the host file. Here’s how to block websites using the Hosts file on Windows.
1. Open File Explorer and navigate to the Windows > System32 > drivers > etc folder.
2. Click the view button on the top bar and select Show > Hidden items.
3. Double-click on the hosts file and select Notepad to open it.
4. Let’s say you want to block facebook.com. To block the website, add a line at the bottom of the hosts file. The line you need to add is:
5. Once done, click the File > Save button to save the host file.
6. You can add as many websites as you want to the hosts file. Just make sure that the web address on the hosts file should appear after 0.0.0.0
7. To unblock the website, delete and save the line from the host file. Alternatively, you can add # at the beginning of the line to convert the syntax into a comment which will unblock the site.
That’s it! This is how you can block websites on your computer using the hosts file. The websites you will block using the hosts site won’t load in any web browser.
Block Websites using Firewall on Windows 11
You can also use the Windows 11 Firewall to block websites in your Chrome browser. All you need to do is to set a firewall rule to block websites.
The good thing about this method is that you can add as many websites as you want to the block list. You need to follow our guide – how to block websites using Firewall in Windows to block your websites.
Using Block Site Extension:
It is one of the best website blockers for Chrome. The extension helps users to stay focused by blocking distracting sites.
With Block Site, you can easily block any distracting or harmful sites. Here’s how you can use the Block Site extension to block certain websites in Chrome.
1. First, download and install the Block Site Google Chrome extension from here.
2. Once downloaded, the browser will show you a popup. You need to click on Add Extension.
3. Once added, you will see the Block Site icon.
4. Now, visit the site which you want to block. Click on the icon and then select Block This Site.
5. To unblock the site click on Edit block sites list. Now each of your blocked sites will have a minus icon. Click on the minus icon to unblock the site.
That’s it; you are done! This is how you can use the Block Site Chrome extension to block certain websites from the Google Chrome browser.
Using Google Chrome Extensions
Many Google Chrome extensions are available on the Google Chrome Web store to block websites. These extensions are really very easy to set up. You must install on your Chrome browser and add URLs to the block list to block those websites.
It is a productivity extension for Google Chrome that helps you stay focused on work by restricting the amount of time you can spend on time-wasting websites.
You can add websites to the blocked list; all those sites will be inaccessible for the rest of the day.
2. Site blocker
Site Blocker is one of the best and top-rated extensions available on the Google Web Store, allowing users to block any site they want.
3. Website Blocker (Beta)
If you are searching for a Chrome extension to help you concentrate on your work, then Website Blocker (Beta) might be the best pick for you.
Guess what? Website Blocker (Beta) allows users to block the URL, including the specified character string. Not just that, but the Chrome extension also allows users to schedule a time to block sites.
So the above guide was all about how to block websites on google chrome. I hope this article helped you! Please share it with your friends also.