Last Updated on April 26, 2023 by Larious
The App availability of the iPhone isn’t as huge as Android, but the Apple app store still has many useful and free apps. On regular usage, an iPhone user installs almost 20-30 apps.
And as we use those apps on our iPhones, they create cache files that build up over time and consume more storage space. As a result, our iPhone slows down over time and leads to storage-related issues.
Even if your iPhone doesn’t slow down, if you keep using apps without clearing the app cache regularly, you will face problems related to insufficient storage.
So, it’s best to clear the app cache on your iPhone at regular intervals to ensure better performance and to rule out cache issues.
Table of Contents
How to Clear App Cache on iPhone Without Deleting Apps (5 Methods)
Clearing the app cache on iPhone is not as easy as on Android; you may have to delete the app and install it again. But a few workarounds let you clear the app cache on your iPhone without deleting the app.
Hence, below, we have shared all the best ways to clear the app cache on iPhone without deleting the apps. Let’s get started.
1. Restart your iPhone
Restart won’t clear your iPhone app cache, but it will definitely improve the performance of your device.
The purpose of restarting the iPhone is to refresh all background processes and apps. Restarting your iPhone will also rule out bugs preventing you from following the next methods.
- To restart your iPhone, follow the steps we have shared below.
- First, press and hold the Power + Volume Up/Down buttons for a few seconds.
- Swipe the ‘Slide to Power off’ option on the Power Menu.
Once your iPhone is turned off, you need to wait around 1 minute and press & hold the Power button.
That’s it! This will start your iPhone again. Make sure to restart your iPhone before following the next methods.
2. Offload iPhone Apps from Settings
iPhone has an ‘Offload App‘ feature that helps you free up storage space. When you offload an app on iPhone, the app is deleted, but its data is still kept. So, when you offload an app, the app is removed, but the data related to it remains intact.
This is a convenient feature, especially if you plan to free up storage space but want to keep your app data. Reinstalling the offloaded app will immediately restore your previous data. Here’s how to offload apps on iPhone.
1. First, open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. When the Settings app opens, tap on the General option.
3. On the General, tap on iPhone Storage.
4. Now, pick the app which you want to offload.
5. On the next screen, tap on the Offload app option.
6. On the confirmation prompt, tap the ‘Offload app‘ option again.
7. If you ever wish to reinstall the offloaded app, reach Step 4 and tap the ‘Reinstall App‘ option.
That’s it! The offload option will free up storage used by the app but keep its documents and data.
3. Clear Browser Cache on iPhone
The Safari web browser that comes built-in on iPhone also saves many cache files on your iPhone storage. Hence, you can also clear the browser cache to free up some storage space.
Clear Cache of Google Chrome on iPhone
Google Chrome is very famous amongst iPhone users, and if you use it to browse the web, you can clear its cache to free up some space.
1. To start, open the Google Chrome browser on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the three dots at the bottom-right corner.
3. From the list of options that appears, select ‘History.’
4. On the History screen, tap the ‘Clear browsing data‘ button.
5. Select ‘All Time‘ on the Time Range and make sure all options are selected. Once done, tap on the Clear browsing data button.
6. On the confirmation prompt, tap on Clear Browsing Data again.
That’s it! This will clear the cache file of your Google Chrome browser on your iPhone.
Clear Cache of Safari Browser on iPhone
The steps to clear the Safari browser cache is a bit different. Here you need to clear the app cache from the Settings app. Here’s what you need to do.
1. First, open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. On Settings, scroll down a bit and tap on Safari.
3. On the Safari screen, scroll down and tap ‘Clear History and Website Data.’
4. Tap the ‘Clear History and Data‘ option again on the confirmation prompt.
That’s it! This will clear the Safari cache on iPhone and free up some storage space.
4. Clear Cache from individual apps on iPhone
iPhone doesn’t allow you to clear the app cache individually, but some apps, like Safari, Spotify, etc., provide an in-app option to clear the cache it had stored.
Hence, if you feel like your iPhone is running low on storage, you can utilize that in-app cache cleaning feature to clear the cache files.
But, the problem is that only a handful of apps have the feature that lets you clear cache from the in-app settings; hence this may not be a very effective option.
Here’s how to clear cache from specific apps on iPhone.
Note: I have used the Spotify app to demonstrate the steps. You will usually find the option to clear the cache on the Storage Settings of the app.
1. First of all, open the Spotify app. Next, tap the Settings icon that sits in the top-right corner.
2. On the Settings screen, tap on the Storage.
3. Next, under Storage, tap the ‘Clear Cache‘ option.
4. On the Confirmation prompt, tap the ‘Clear Cache‘ option again.
That’s it! This will clear the Spotify cache on your iPhone. Other apps like Snapchat and Safari also offer an option to clear the cache from the in-app settings.
5. Use Cache Cleaner Apps for iPhone
There are hundreds of third-party apps to clear iPhone app cache on the Apple App Store. Some apps clear the app cache without deleting the app on iPhone, but they usually require a purchase.
Apart from the Cache cleaners, some of the storage management apps for iPhone also have a feature to clear app cache. You need to explore the iPhone app catalog on the Apple app store and install the apps that clear the cache file.
However, use trusted iPhone cache cleaners, and avoid downloading apps from unknown sources.
Also read: 20 Best Hidden iPhone Secret Codes
So, these are some easy ways to clear the app cache on iPhone without deleting the app. You can follow these methods to clear the app cache and free up some storage space. If you still need help clearing your iPhone app cache, feel free to ask in the comments below.