Last Updated on July 12, 2023 by Larious
When you install Windows on your computer, Windows then stores the blueprint of your installation as a registry file. If this file gets corrupted, it can cause different issues and would also cause display errors.
One needs to repair the registry itself to deal with the errors caused by a corrupted registry. Therefore, we have shared some of the best methods to fix or repair registry errors on Windows 10/11 computers in this article.
Table of Contents
Steps to Repair Windows Registry Errors:
There are multiple ways to fix and repair the Windows registry. Below, we have shared some basic methods to deal with various Windows Registry errors.
I put this method on top because if you have ever encountered a particularly irksome piece of malware or virus affecting your registry, you will always have a backup at the time.
So, all you need to do is back up your registry fields so you can use them later.
1. First of all, press Windows + R. This will open the run box, type regedit and then press enter.
2. Now, you need to click on File and then on Export.
3. Now, a dialogue box will pop up, and you need to enter the name of your choice and save it in a safe location.
Follow the same steps mentioned above. Select File > Import. Browse where you saved the backup file and hit Open. That’s it! This is the easiest way to avoid registry errors.
Using System Restore
In this method, you need to create a system restore point. You need to create a restore point when Windows is working file.
After creating a restore point, if the registry gets corrupted, you can roll back your computer to the previous restore point. Below are the steps to restore your system.
1. First of all, open the control panel on your Windows. Search for the System Restore option in the control panel and click it.
2. This will open the System Restore panel. If you had created the backup for your system before, you would see that backup in the System Restore panel. Select the restore point from there.
3. After selecting the restore point, click on the Scan for the affected programs button on the System Restore panel.
This will start the scanning of the restore point for affected programs. If there are no affected programs found on the selected restore point, then you can go ahead and restore your computer to that point by clicking Next and then the Finish button that appears on the panel.
Using SFC Command
Well, SFC Command on Windows operating system can not only fix your corrupted Windows registry but also help you troubleshoot a buggy Windows system. The command scans and replaces corrupt files, missing, and changed.
Here’s how you can use SFC Command to fix Windows registry-related problems.
1. First, you must open the Command Prompt with administrative rights. For that, you need to right-click on the Start button and then select the option Command Prompt (Admin).
2. After that, you need to enter the run command sfc /scannow without the quotes, as shown in the screenshot below.
3. Now, wait for a few minutes until the command completes the scanning and repairing process. Once done, leave the command prompt and restart your computer.
4. If you find an error report ‘Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them’, then you need to restart your PC in safe mode and then run the command.
That’s it; you are done! This is how you can fix registry or corrupted files on your Windows computer using sfc /scannow command.
Windows 10 registry repair Command Prompt
Another best way to repair Windows Registry is by running the DISM command via Command Prompt. Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a command line utility that can be used to repair the Windows 10 image.
So, if the Windows image is corrupted, you will get registry errors. So, it’s best to run the DISM Command tool to fix the registry errors.
1. Click on Windows search and type in CMD. Right-click on the CMD and select Run as administrator.
2. When the Command Prompt opens, execute these three commands one at a time.
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
That’s it! After executing the commands, type exit on the Command Prompt and restart your computer. This should find and repair the Windows registry errors.
Using System Repair
Windows 10 also features a system repair utility that can fix many errors related to System 32 files, restores, and Registry. So, we can use the System repair to fix Windows Registry errors.
However, you need a working Windows bootable DVD to fix Registry.
- First, put a Windows installation disk/USB and reboot the computer.
- You will be asked to press any key to boot from the DVD/USB, press any key.
- Now you will see the Windows Installer menu. There you need to click on Repair.
Now follow the on-screen instructions to fix Windows 10 registry-related errors. The process might take time, but it will fix Windows Registry errors.
Reset Your PC
Like Android devices, Windows 10 can also reset your PC to the previous restore point. If you haven’t created any restore points, this option will remove all user apps and settings.
It will also remove files and folders. So, make sure to create a proper backup before you reset your PC.
Head to Settings > Update and Security.
Under the Update and Security, select ‘Recovery’ and click on Get Started.
From there, select the option ‘Reset This PC’ and choose ‘Keep my Files;
That’s it! Now follow the on-screen instructions to complete the System Reset.
Plenty of third-party software available on the internet claims to fix Windows registry problems. These tools clean corrupted registry entries and try to fix them. Below, we have shared a few best tools to fix Windows registry errors.
CCleaner is one of the best junk cleaner tools available for the Windows 10 operating system. It can easily scan and remove junk files from your system.
It also has a Registry cleaner that removes unnecessary entries from the registry. You can Download & Install the CCleaner from here.
2) Registry Repair
Registry Repair analyzes more than a dozen different areas in your registry and can identify up to 18 types of errors. It can also thoroughly scan the Windows registry for errors, invalid entries, Regedit optimization, etc.
It automatically scans for registry errors and fixes them for you. This also provides an option to back up the previous registry settings to avoid problems.
3) Auslogics Registry Cleaner
It is one of the great tools for repairing your Windows registry and dealing with stability issues. Auslogics Registry Cleaner cleans junk accumulations, incorrect system or internet settings, unnecessary registry entries, etc.
It also cleans out junk files, resolves registry issues, eliminates slowdown causes, clears privacy traces to protect your confidential data, and so much more.
4) AVG PC TuneUp
Guess what? AVG PC TuneUp can speed up your slow computer in just a few clicks. With AVG PC TuneUp, you can clean up junk, remove duplicate files, update software, fix registry errors, etc.
The registry repair tool of AVG PC TuneUp is quite powerful and can fix complicated problems.
5) jv16 PowerTools
Like AVG PC Tuneup, jv16 PowerTools offers many tools to speed up your PC. From removing duplicate files to registry repair, jv16 PowerTools can do it.
The user interface of jv16 PowerTools is also clean and straightforward. So, jv16 PowerTools is the best Windows software to fix or repair Windows registry errors.
So, these are some simple ways to repair Windows Registry Errors. If you need more help in resolving Windows Registry error, let us know in the comments below.