Last Updated on September 22, 2023 by Larious
DNS, also known as Domain Name System, is an important system that matches the domain names to their correct IP Address. After connecting to the right IP Address, we can see that website on our web browser.
DNS is a database consisting of domain names and IP Addresses. So, whenever we enter google.com or yahoo.com, our computer contacts DNS servers and asks what IP Address is associated with both domain names.
After getting the IP Address, it connects to the web server of the visiting site. Then, it loads and displays the web content. You can visit any site through its IP address. Just type in the IP Address in the web browser, and you will see the website. However, we use the domain name because it’s easier to remember.
Table of Contents
How Important is DNS?
In short, without DNS, the whole internet will not be accessible, and we will be rolled back to when the internet used to be a dream. We will be left with our computers, where we can only play offline games.
Now, in the next part, different ISPs use different DNS servers. If you are not using any specific DNS server on your computer or router, you might use your ISP’s DNS servers.
Problems With DNS Servers
Usually, people face DNS-related issues because they choose to use the default DNS servers of their ISP. If DNS servers are unstable, you can expect problems connecting to different websites. You will get some unwanted browsing errors.
Some of the DNS errors include:
- DNS Lookup Failed On Google Chrome
- Err_Connection_Timed_Out Error
- Err_Connection_Refused Error
- Dns_Probe_Finished_Nxdomain Error
- DNS Server Not Responding On Windows
The list doesn’t stop here; if you are getting any of these errors, you can blame your DNS. However, DNS-related issues can be resolved by switching to Public DNS servers.
Benefits of Using Public DNS Servers?
There are multiple reasons why tech guys still prefer Public DNS servers over ISPs. The most probable reason is to avoid unwanted errors. Another thing is that Public DNS servers like Google DNS and OpenDNS can improve your internet browsing speed because it improves the resolve time.
ISPs block access to certain websites by resolving their names to the wrong IP Addresses. By using a Public DNS, you could easily avoid such blocking. Furthermore, some public DNS, like Google DNS, resolves hostnames faster than ISPs.
So, which is the best Public DNS Server? (Google DNS vs. OpenDNS)
In my opinion, Google Public DNS Server is the best and one of the fastest DNS servers many users use. DNS Server Google ensures better security and a faster browsing experience.
The other best option is OpenDNS, which is a cloud-based DNS Server. With OpenDNS, you will get extended features like customizable filtering, theft & phishing protections, etc.
How To Switch To Google DNS To Speed Up Web Browsing
Using Google DNS On a Windows computer is easy; you need to follow some simple steps below. So, let’s check out how to use the fastest DNS servers.
1. On your Windows computer, browse the Control Panel and choose Network and Sharing Center.
2. In the next window, click on the Change Adapter Settings.
3. Now, you will see your connected network. Right-click on the connected network and then click on ‘Properties’
4. Browse to the Networking tab, and under ‘This connection uses the following items’, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on properties.
5. Next, under General, choose ‘Use the following DNS Server Addresses’. Fill in the DNS Value 18.104.22.168 or 22.214.171.124, click ‘Ok’ then restart your network.
Google DNS IP: 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52
That’s it! You have just switched to the Google DNS Server. You will feel a noticeable improvement in browsing speed.
Using Public DNS Servers
Public DNS Server is one of the best DNS server changer software available for the Windows operating system. In this tool, users don’t need to go through manual stuff, as it can switch the DNS server automatically. Below, we will share a tutorial on how to download & install Public DNS Servers on your Windows 10 computer.
1. Visit this link and download the Public DNS Server on your Windows computer. Once done, install the tool.
2. Run Public DNS Server, click on Backup, and then back up the current DNS settings for easy restoration.
3. In the next step, select the current network adapter from the drop-down menu.
4. Now you need to select the DNS server of your choice, like Google DNS or OpenDNS, and click on ‘Change‘
That’s it! This is how you can use the Public DNS Server tool to switch to Google DNS easily. After switching, you will notice an increase in browsing speed.
Change DNS Server in Google Chrome
If you use the Google Chrome web browser, you can easily switch to Google DNS without making any changes to the internet settings.
It’s pretty easy to switch to Google DNS on the Google Chrome browser. For that, follow the steps we have shared below.
1. Open the Google Chrome browser on your computer.
2. When the Browser opens, click on the three dots at the top right.
3. On the Chrome menu, click on the Settings.
4. Now, switch to the Privacy and Security tab on the left.
5. On the right side, click on the Security.
6. Under the Advanced section, enable the toggle for Use secure DNS.
7. Click on the With drop-down and select Google (Public DNS).
That’s it! After making the changes, restart your Google Chrome browser. This is how you can switch to Google DNS on your Chrome browser.
So, this is the Google DNS setting you can apply on your connected network to improve the browsing speed. The methods we have shared will surely speed up the web browsing speed. If you have any other doubts, then make sure to discuss them with us in the comments.